Monday, January 23, 2012

Dog Days

Some people talk about the "dog days" of summer when it's to hot to do anything other than lay around. Well, it feels like I am going through the "dog days" of winter. I am well equipped to handle shooting in any kind of weather but sometimes it's just so damn difficult. If it's not the cold then it's trying to manipulate your camera controls under cover or with gloves on.....or knowing that a long hike IN means a long hike OUT which can be unpleasant in some weather conditions. There is nothing worse than being out in the (rough elements) and returning to find that none of your pictures live up to your standards or just didn't turn out how you envisioned them. I guess you need to be able to accept it for what it is and to just enjoy the journey. Like I have said before, I am not one to just shoot, shoot, shoot. I like to see and then think about how I am setting up to get the picture that i am envisioning. What are the alternative angles and how can I make the photo interesting. I want to see what others don't. I thrive on doing some of the difficult things that it takes to get interesting shots but sometimes second guess myself on whether it's going to be worth it. I have hiked an hour and a half into heavy wilderness only to find that there isn't much of anything interesting to shoot. The experience is great but the disappointment can be maddening especially knowing that time is limited.
I think that's what it all comes down to.......time and not having enough of it. This is not a casual hobby for me. I could spend 24 hours a day living this thing. The problem (that I am sure most of us experience) is the responsibility of everyday life. Jobs, monthly expenses for things you have but probably don't need and everything else that goes along with trying to survive in this world seem to take precedent. I am convinced that I could easily live in a cabin in the northern woods of Wisconsin. Having only food, electricity, heat and hot water would work just fine for me. Unlimited time to explore and photograph nature is what I am dying to have.
So, all that talk about dealing with the elements isn't really the issue, it's time. Time to be inspired, time to experience the wonders that nature has created, time to waste and not care about it, time to learn, time to do what you love and time to be who you really are. That is what I am looking for. Sounds simple.............right?

No comments:

Post a Comment