Thursday, March 22, 2012

1000 mile weekend

        Last friday morning i left Madison for what would be a 1000 mile weekend. My first destination was Copper Falls State park located south of Ashland. I would have arrived there in record time if not for the small town of Phillip's police officer who pulled me over for speeding. I swear that i was driving in a 65 mph zone. Arrgghhh...not a good way to start...but i was on my way to doing what i love, exploring nature and taking pictures.
Copper falls is a beautiful area with waterfalls and rapids, great hiking trails and very void of people (which is how i like it). With no one around it made it much easier for me to sneak off the trails and get into some "forbidden areas" for some great photos. After spending 3 hours hiking i met another photographer from the area and we talked shop for about 45 minutes. He gave me some good info about the surrounding area and Lake Superior if i ever get up that way again....which i will.
My plan was to find an inexpensive motel nearby, spend the night and then leave early in the morning for the Spooner area. After getting a look at the local "bates" motel and knowing that Norman himself would not be caught dead there i decided to head for Spooner immediately.
The drive was awesome as i got to drive through the state forest that borders the area. I was hoping to see some Elk but no such luck.
Got to spooner in the late afternoon and headed off to the family cabin to see how winter had treated it.....more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment