Friday, February 10, 2012

Taking a chance

I took some time in December of last year to re-evaluate my display and after looking at it from a distance found it to be cluttered and unorganized. It had too much stuff, to many pictures, to many signs, just way to much to look at.
So, over the last two months I have invested a decent amount of money to "overhaul" my display. It started with gray display covers to cover up the steel mesh of the walls. I then made the move from framed photos to standouts and canvas. I will still display a few framed pieces but I think that the standouts display much better and are something that I haven't seen a lot of vendors doing. Going forward, each display wall will carry a maximum of 3 prints as opposed to the "get as many on there as I can fit" mentality. The photos will be larger and more eye catching than before. Also, there will be many new photos on display. After reviewing my sales over the last year I think I have found what people are looking for....at least for the time being.
I have also added a heavy duty pole that will hold track lighting. Lighting was one thing that I sorely missed for indoor shows. Gone are all of the price signs as I have now individually priced every print regardless of whether it is on the wall or in the display bins. Gone are the signs with the business name. I will still use my banner for outside shows but I will be relying on business cards and brochures to promote my business for the indoor ones.
The scary part about this is that 2011 was a decent year and the display seemed to do just fine. I am looking at this as taking another step to "professionalizing" my self. Considering the money I spent it is a big risk but I am in this for the long haul and if this new display makes people look at what I have to offer in a different light then that works for me. Change is good.........I have done my research and believe in what I am doing so I know that it's the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment